I painstakingly examined every aspect of the 1.0 version of the menu, looking for where I could implement CSS Grid in place of the old system. I removed the container class and made header into a 12-column grid, and then set up headerLeft and headerRight as divs within the grid.
I had looked into the inner workings to see if the absolute positioning I used for the toggle button and menu could be better optimized with CSS Grid, but decided against it. The button is more of a stylized item, and absolute positioning worked better for placement and build. In terms of the menu, I’m a big fan of semantics, and did not want to take the menu out of being an unordered list. Converting the list elements to divs would allow me to use grid, but it would kill the semantics of it being a menu, so I decided to leave it as is.